»

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

You got questions? I got answers.

So I heard about this new service, ChaCha, where - for free - you text any question under the sun to 242 242 (chacha), and a live person finds an answer, and responds. Need directions? Need movie showtimes? Need a phone number? Trying to remember the name of the guy that was in that movie? Wondering what the square root of 957 is? Wondering if you should stay or hit at 17? Ask ChaCha! I thought it sounded interesting, so I did ask ChaCha.

Questions I've asked:

Why won't my baby take a nap?
What is the address of Cuba Libre, in Dallas?
What is the nearest cross street to that address?
How hot is it going to be today?
What is the meaning of life?


The answers were awesome! Informative, quick - and in cases where appropriate, amusing.

This is turning into a super useful tool!

I started reading up on it - it was debuted at Sundance, highly promoted at the Indy 500, and ABC news did a story on it just the other day .

I got so interested in the whole thing (I'm weird, I know) - that I actually applied, went through a testing process, and am now a guide who answers questions. It's like on the spot trivia/research. Challenging at times, but fun. And it pays a little bit. (not a lot, by any means... but a little)

Questions I've answered so far:

Do babies always stop moving before labor begins?
What is the phone number for *some ice cream parlor in MA, can't remember the name*?
What were Mickey Mantle's career stats?
How fast will a Ducati motorcycle go?
Driving directions for *point a to point b*?
Where does Jessica Alba live?
How much formula do I give a kitten?
Where does Matt Damon live?
What color is a giraffe's tongue?
What time does the game start?
How do I ask a boy out, if I'm scared he'll reject me?

See - you can ask ChaCha anything! The idea is that a live person can do a better job of inferring what it is you're wanting to know, than a mathematical query like Google.

You should try it. :o) It really is free (well, unless you have to pay per text message - then it costs whatever your cell phone company charges you).

Let me know if you do! Or if you have any questions about how it all works - I can answer those for you, as well. I can also tell you how to become a guide, if you think you're up for that.

6 comments:

christina(apronstrings) said...

hahahah. who thought of that and don't these people have better things to do? i wonder if they will start charging?
i can't wait to put a big fat bow on my little one. i can't help it. it's a primal urge. really.

and i love the baby legs! how great are those things???

you asked where i got the patterns for the dolls i made that i showed on my blog (http://apronstrings.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/06/post-one-of-many-sewing-for-little-ones)
the pattern is availible at www.weewonderfuls.com. be sure to use a bigger seam allowance than the pattern calls for. 1/8th is TOO little. 1/2 works better. you can also enlarge the pattern pieces to make up for the seam increase.also, cute the bottom pattern piece by about 20% or you will go crazy when you get to the stuffing part.

thanks for stopping by my blog, and i like yours,so i'll be back.

christina(apronstrings) said...

should read "increase the bottom pattern piece by about 20% (i just guess at what 20% is) when you cut the fabric."

We Three Smiths + 1 said...

You are too funny! How on earth with a 5 month old do you have time to research those answers???!!! You must be better at the Mom thing than I am!! I am definitely going to use, thanks for the tip!

The Lashers said...

Instead of texting chacha, can I cut out the middle man and go straigh to you?

How large will Breckin be when he is born?

eleventhirtysix images said...

ChaCha says 8lbs 1oz. :o)

Renee & Sheldon said...

This is an awesome service and I'm totally thinking about signing up to be a guide. What else do I have to do when Pierce goes to bed...I'm on the internet anyway!! =) I just asked it if there was a substitute for sweetened condensed milk and sure enough, they sent a recipe back!