»

Friday, June 20, 2008

My heart hurts.

*sigh*

After two nights of what I thought was teething, I wasn't so sure. Could it be an ear infection? Well, it's Friday - so better check to be safe, before the weekend.

Went to the doctor... nope, completely healthy. She doesn't even really think Charlotte is teething. The diagnosis is, apparently, a case of "bad-attitude-itis".

She's not sleeping, we aren't sleeping, WHAT HAPPENED???? I've brought her into our bed, in the wee hours - out of sheer desperation, but that's not a real solution. Then I only get a little sleep, and what I do get, is bad. No matter how freshly trimmed those little nails are, they're sharp. And she kicks her socks off, so at 4am - when she's fretting and flitting and tossing and crying, grabbing my face and bicycling her legs up against my tummy - it's like being in bed with a 14lb, 14oz gerbil. A cute gerbil, but a hostile gerbil just the same.

I don't know what to do. So many dear friends suggest crying it out, but my heart doesn't feel like that's the right answer either. She is positively HYSTERICAL. Gasping, sobbing, needing me. I'm supposed to say no?

Geez, it's the middle of the afternoon and I'm crying just thinking about it.

I want my sleeping baby back. :o(

7 comments:

Megan Sommer said...

is she to old to swaddle?

Megan Sommer said...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080206010105AA8FqIF

Anonymous said...

OH, sweet friend! We've been there- I think every parent has...and boy does it suck! I remember letting Trev cry it out when he was itty bitty and honestly...it was easier. NOW, when he wakes with those crocodile tears in full drama...he sometimes even cries "ma-ma-ma-ma" and it's nearly impossible for me to let go and let him soothe himself.

Having said that, letting him cry usually works for us and once I've done it, I'm usually surprised at how little time it actually took. I also think as heart-wrenching as it is... it usually works better and faster for us than me doing every stand-on-my head type manuever for hours to no avail.

But, obviously, crying it out isn't always the answer, you'll have to trust your mommy radar. I promise, you will sleep again, and your sweet little girl will be back to her normal self! I'll be praying for a peaceful night and sweet dreams for you guys!

Patty Smith, Graphic Designer said...

There is another growth spurt around 6 months. That could be it :( Sorry friend. But it was good she doesn't have an ear infection.

Misty Rice said...

That is what I was going to suggest.... she is probably going through growing pains. Try INFANT MASSAGE. Hunter LOVED it about that age each night about 15 minutes or so before bed. Remember though if you haven't done it before don't expect her to love it right away, try it if she fusses, let it go and try again the next night. But try it!!!

Then there is always BENADRYL LOL>>>>

thenagelfamily said...

Hey you might remember me I am the one who does Miranda's hair...anyhoo I was blog hopping and saw your dilema! I too was there just a short couple of months ago and everyone told me to let her cry it out but I just could not I did not have the heart but my dear sister told me about this book called "The no cry sleep solution" it really worked for us, there were lots of tips and it really seemed to help. Paislie (that's my daughter) was never a napper and only slept with us but when she got old enough to kick my husband in the ribs and pull my hair to wake us up in the middle of the night we had enough so we were going to put her in her own room but that is where we ran into our problems! I have to say it worked very well and she even takes naps in her own room without me having to rock her now!! I hope it works out! Amy :)

Gloria Furman said...

:-( aw.... come on char, give mommy a break! praying for your rest. my doc used to say, "just let them 'grow' it out." love yall!