»

Friday, January 16, 2009

Curren's story...

 

Things with my  little photo gig are starting to really blossom, and I'm so excited by that.  We're starting to look at websites, business names, etc.  I'm deliberately trying to go very slow with it, though - I want to learn, not just 'do'.  Does that make sense?  I've been learning since early on in High School, when I would spend hours and hours in the darkroom - but it's still fun and interesting to me.  I would rather do one session, step back, look at what I could've done differently, better - and then go to the next one.  I'm rambling.  

I really, REALLY loved the experience of being the birth photographer for my friends, this week. I feel like the field, while small, is the perfect combination of my photojournalistic style/experience and my love of babies.  (Who DOESN'T love babies, though, really?).   

Aron & Suz posted the slideshow I made them on their blog, so I'm going to take that as a sign that it's okay for me to do the same...  As I watch this, I see the shots that I missed - and shots that I wish had turned out a bit better, but I feel like the story is there.  Suzanne was so incredibly strong and determined, and Aron's absolute love for his wife was palpable in the room.  And then there was Curren...  so sweet, so new, so obviously annoyed that he was out in this cold, bright world.  But so obviously loved.  


(and keep in mind, YouTube makes everything so grainy... )

12 comments:

Misty Rice said...

Oh Allison what a wonderful job mama. You made me start crying. Don't know why I am so emotional. I think you have a great talent for this and I will be praying as I watch your little business grow. Beautifully done.

Question: As you know I am sort of in the same boat as you, thankfully I am in Florida or I wouldn't have any clients. LOL

I am shooting my friends birth in 4 weeks. As you know we can't use flash. So I am a little nervous because I do not know my way around the camera as well as you do. Can you please give me any advise for capturing me friends birth? What setting did you use to not use the flash???

Thanks in advance for anything think you can help me with.

Hugs

Me said...

I think you have definitely found a calling...that is just beautiful!

Patty Smith, Graphic Designer said...

I will be starting the same next December, my personal goal. And like, Misty said, I am in WV. Good luck as you pursue your dream.

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a beautiful documentation of such a special time. You are very talented. This had me crying and I don't even know your friends!

Did you use your amazing new lens?

Rick, Michelle, Jonah & Harper said...

How you captured such a precious moments into 9:45 mins. Like I told you at BRU that day I saw you-taking photos or really telling people's story through a lens is such a blessing that you are able to share with others. Congrats to you.

Gloria Furman said...

You know, it's not too late to hop on a plane and get over here. I've got a couple more weeks, so that's plenty of time to pack. :-) Great job, Allison!

Katie said...

Are you considering expanding beyond birthing photos? I don't plan to do that again for a while, but would love for you to capture other moments for us during Sara's first year!

wilderlamb said...

Allison you did such an awesome job. They are beautiful! And you know that we are always our own worst critic. I think you might be seeing a lot of nips and bits in the future!!!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful!!!! You do have a gift! I love all the photos and birth is the most beautiful event to capture!

Raelyn

The Fox Family said...

Allison,

This was beautiful, emotional filled and so eloquently done. God has gifted you girl! You rock!

Em

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful! Just beautiful *sniff, sniff*

It almost makes me want to have another baby just so I can fly you up here to document the birth. I said almost! :laugh:

The Craftypigs said...

Congratulations on a job well done.