»

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

discipline for the undisciplined

I realize that Charlotte is still young, and probably doesn't understand the majority of what I tell her - but since she is mobile, and capable of getting herself into a new dangerous situation each and every day, the "Charlotte - NO MA'AM!" 's have been flying left and right these days.  


When I see her going towards something that she shouldn't (we have things pretty well baby-proofed, but there are still areas that just have to be left vulnerable, and she has to learn with SOMETHING) I grit my teeth, put on my best "mean mommy" face and sternly declare, "Charlotte, no ma'am!  That's a no-touch."  or something similar.  I try to sound firm, and authoritative, but it never fails... she'll turn her head and look at me, and I crack up.  She's not making a particularly funny face, or even reacting at all to be honest - but I can.not.keep.a.straight.face.  What gives?  It's totally a case of innappropriate giggling.  Like at a funeral, or during a lecture at school...  I try to contain it, and I can't.  How is she ever going to develop a reactionary response to my "bad girl" tone if it's followed up by giggles?  And why am I even laughing?  There's nothing really amusing or even interesting about her playing with DVD's.  I can't figure out why it triggers my laughter.  

Hopefully I can reign in the laughter before she's out of control.  

As a random note, in a matter of a week Charlotte shifted from 4 one hour naps a day, to two 2 hour naps a day.  It's not that she's sleeping more, but it feels like she is... I feel like we get more fun time AND more nap time, somehow.  Love it.  

Oh! And since her Daddy is home....  grrrrr.  I understand that he loves the warm fuzzies that come from rocking his sweet baby to sleep, but that is NOT how she needs to go down for a nap.  She'll fall asleep all right, but so does he.  Then 30 mins later he wakes up, goes to lay her down - she wakes up, and the whole nap is ruined.  I lectured him today that while I really appreciate how affectionate he is towards her, Momma makes the rules on this one and that behaviour needs to be nipped in the bud.  She was a total pissy-McCrankypants this evening and it had everything to do with the craptastic nap that Mr. Warm & Fuzzy put her down for this afternoon.  

There are worse things than your husband loving your baby, though.  

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the inappropriate giggles! Last week Trevor was rocking in his highchair so mightily that I thought it would toss him onto the ground. I put my hand on his chest and gave a stern "Trevor, NO Thankyou."... he then put his hand over mine and busted out into one of his trademark belly laughs. I could not contain myself- but left the room before he caught on! I don't get it! Other kids react appropriately to my "mommy voice" but Trevor seems to see right through it!