»

Thursday, November 20, 2008

If I knew then, what I know now....

Sometimes I'll stumble across a photo of myself, from when I was younger and it makes me sad.  Not because I feel old, or anything like that, but because I was so freaking stupid.  I had a horrible body image growing up, always feeling like the token "fat friend" - but I can see now, that couldn't have been further from the truth.  There was nothing wrong with my body, and if I could just go back in time and shake some sense into 16 year old me, I totally would.  What a waste.  

I really, really want to make a concentrated effort to ensure that Charlotte doesn't have the same issues.  I don't know if the blame fell on my twisted teenage hormones, society and it's oversexualization, or if I'm just plain crazy in the head.  Whatever it was, I don't want her to have it.  I wish I could invest in a bubble for her.  

I'd also like to go back in time and tell 16 year old Allison that A) he really isn't the "one" so skip the drama while you can and B) the friends you suspect are really the ones for life? They are, and your best times are to come - so quit trying to grow up too soon.  

Here's the photo that sparked these thoughts....  my friend, Julie, posted it on her Myspace and besides all the regret about that stuff mentioned above - it was good for a laugh about our outfits, and fun to remember going out together.   Long live the 90's.



What would you tell 16 year old you?


7 comments:

Rachel Maples said...

I'm with you I had horrible self image but unlike you the root of mine is known, my mother :o) but I look back and pictures now and wish I looked like I did when I was 16, I was damn hot! hee oh well it is what it is right I can't change my stupidity so I"ll just hope I can make better decisions and view myself as the sweet loving person I am and not worry too much about my physical appearance....

Stephanie said...

Allison how could you have possibly thought you were fat!?!? You were just the tiniest thing!!!
Wow, if I could go back in time...I would tell myself to do the exact opposite of every decision I ever made from the time I was 15 - 21, ha ha!!

christina(apronstrings) said...

i had the worst body image too! it was awful. actaully i really did until a year before i got pregnant.
i worry that cate will have issues too. i already correct myself when i say wow, you're getting tubby! i just don't want to get into the habit.
i think we know more now then they did when we were kids.

Rick, Michelle, Jonah & Harper said...

Long live the 90's...... are you kidding, what about the 80's??? Anyways, kuddos to you for loving yourself NO matter what magazines, society, etc says.

Anonymous said...

/living the same life

The Fox Family said...

After 10 years of more life experience, countless sessions in therapy and an incredible reassuring husband...I still take a second glance when I pass by a mirror or reflection in a window and see something I want to change.

The root of the poor self image... a mother that encouraged participation in Beauty Pageants, ugh, a sick and twisted childhood I had. We already make a point to tell Stella she's beautiful only because she has Jesus in her heart!

Right there with you girl! For fun you should challenge us all to post pics of ourselves from the 90's on our blogs!

We Three Smiths + 1 said...

Well, I want to start by saying...you are crazy! How could you have ever felt that way about yourself! I loved you in highschool! You were the absolutely the adorable, beautiful, cute little Cheerleader who was genuinely nice to everyone! Everyone! I don't know anyone who did not love Allison Strange! Now, what I will tell my 16 year old: Have fun, no girls until college (it doesn't count before then anyway), be smart (especially when driving), do what you love and don't waste your time on the other, and always love and know that you can depend on your Mom and Dad for anything!